Category: Other Topics

A Framework for Learning From Null Results

Author(s):
Robin T. Jacob, Fred Doolittle, James Kemple, and Marie-Andrée Somers
Abstract:
Rigorous evaluations of social program sometimes lead to disappointing findings, in which there is no impact of the intervention on key outcomes.  In this article Youth Policy Lab Faculty Co-Director, Robin Jacob, and colleagues argue that these “null result” studies contain value information that can be useful to both researchers and program developers.
Of the 77 studies implemented without any major study limitations, only 9% produced positive effects; the remaining 91% found weak or null effects.” Page 580